Wednesday 16 January 2013

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW With Nigerian Singer "JJC Skillz", By Arik Raymond's Blog (ARB).



Jjc aka skillz aka Dr Octopus aka Bbe.jpg Jjc aka skillz aka Dr Octopus aka Bbe Ceo af.jpg nu.jpg nu.jpg nu.jpg nu.jpg nu.jpg nu.jpg





ARB: What is your name?

Ans: Abdulrasheed bello aka Aka jjc aka skillz (he smiled).

 ARB: When were you born?

Ans: 4th April 1977.

 ARB: Where do you hail from?

Ans: Born in Kano state. Dad is from ilorin and mum is Urhobo from delta state.

 ARB: How did you get your stage name?

Ans: On my arrival to the UK, many Nigerians mocked me by calling me jjc, and later on when they started recognizing my talents, I was then called skillz.

 ARB: What lure you into music?

Ans: My big brother (shai) was a dj and he has a lil home studio, I can say he showed me the path.

 ARB: What was your family opinion about you pursuing a career in music?

Ans: I am the last of 13 so didn't really have that much problems. I came from a line of professionals in many fields, So I was free to pursue my dream.

 ARB: Tell us about your family background.

Ans: Like I said I was the last of 13, grew up with my mum & dad in Kano until my dad passed away. Then I was adopted & taken to the uk by my sister

 ARB: What was your first experience in music like?

Ans: My first experience in music was actually funny, In Kano I started a local akpala group. Men some boyz from the area, going door to door entertaining the neighbors lol

 ARB: What was your first stage performance like?

Ans: Scary (he smiled) I was so worried that I forgot my lines. Felt very embarrassed

 ARB: Who are your mentors?

Ans: My brother was my only support. Didn't have a mentor back then.

 ARB: D'banj was part of your crew before,what led to the break-up?

Ans: Our working relationship ended when all my artists at that time refused to sign my contract.

 ARB: We do hear and see BBE (Big Boiz Entertainment) in some of your works now, is that the label or management your signed to?

Ans: Bigboyz entertainment is my audio & visual production company set up to develop new artist and offer musical solutions to other existing artists.

 ARB: What has been your benefits in this label?

Ans: In all businesses some profits and some loose. But for me my core passion is to build and assist our  music industry. Awooo

 ARB: Do you have any artist under your label?

Ans: Only JJC at the moment

 ARB: But we do hear an artist called 2kriss using the name of this label in some of his song,like the one he featured Olamide titled "Tuale",
and there is this female artist called Tipsy, she do make use of your label name,do you have an explanation for this?

Ans: They are signed and developed by bigboyz and right now are looking for the next step for their career

 ARB: Which means their presence are no longer needed right, Their deal has been terminated if I may get you right.

Ans: Its a choice they feel is best for them.
        They have a 3years contract at hand, So not terminated yet, Just a change in label & direction.

 ARB: Have you ever experienced any challenges running your label all alone,and can you tell your fans out there those challenges?

Ans: Breaking a new artist is a hard job and after doing so, keeping them focused on the end game is even harder.

 ARB: How hard are you pushing yourself and your crew?

Ans: Its a 24hours job. Lots of time creating ideas and products. I.e songs, videos promoters and most importantly money to promote and build awareness, me and the team work extremely hard.

 ARB: Have you ever performed outside Nigeria?

Ans: Many times.

 ARB: Where and when was that?

Ans: UK, Europe, Usa, Asia & I have been in several successful groups through my career so far starting from winning the MOBO Award in 2000.

 ARB: Is there any difference performing outside the country?

Ans: While working in the uk pop scene it was much more different, because I was signed to major record labels such as SONY & EMI. The shows were huge but now the Nigerian scene is starting to match up.

 ARB: What is the most embarrassing moment  in your life,and how did you get to handle it?

Ans: #Thinking, Hmmmmm!!! (He Breaks The silence)
        When I found out my fiance cheated on me.
I erased, replaced, and embraced a new face.

 ARB: Has anybody ever batched into the dressing room, or behind the stage when you were getting prepared to storm the stage, and how did you handle this?

Ans: Many times, I don't mind Backstage is backstage I am a professional.

ARB: How did you handle it,and what was the scene like?

Ans: I just get on with my preparation n my manager or p.a sees to them.


 ARB: As a child back then,which music / artists do you listen to?

Ans: Shina Peters, Kolintin, Ayuba, Bob Marley and many country music like Don Williams & Kenny Rogers.

 ARB: Do you make use of their styles in your music?

Ans: I utilized the country songs for story telling, the Yoruba songs to help remember home.
They all inspire me in different ways.

 ARB: In Three Words, describe the type of music you do.

Ans: Afropean, Electro, Afrobeat

 ARB: What made you choose this type of music?

Ans: Just trying to understand myself & who I am or becoming. A blend of my life experience tho.

 ARB: Is there any difference in the old skool music and the  new skool music?

Ans: I believe music is the same just recycled in a different way to fit the theme, due to available technology.

 ARB: Taking it back to the time you were a kid,has it ever occurred to you that you would be well known and successful in the industry,or you are just doing it back then for the fun of doing it?

Ans: I always wanted to do this, I remember watching a fuji band play at a wedding & thought wow, I would love to go on stage and perform.

 ARB: How long have you been doing it?

Ans: Long story that one,
        Started in 1992 while in school, the crew was called 121crew then later changed the name to secret weapon but it all ended in 1997. Around 1998 we came back together to work on a company called Bigboyz where JJC was launched

 ARB: What inspires you?

Ans: Life, Events, Conversations, Opinions.

 ARB: What was your hit single,and did you know you were going to hit it with that song?

Ans: Nu flow, Favourate things, Atide, Kilonshele, We Are Africans & African Skank.

ARB: As in the one that made people to know who JJC is

Ans: I record songs all the time. When I recorded Atide. I knew I created a track and genre of music not available in the market and knew JJC found a home.

 ARB: Did you see D'banj & Don jazzy's  break-up coming?

Ans: Nope, I thought it was happy days in the kingdom mo hits.

 ARB: Have you ever thought of working with any of the Mavins or DB records crew?

Ans: Wande coal of-course, sick voice & lyricist.

ARB: So why didn't you work with him?

Ans: I actually went to meet Don Jazzy & D'banj at the house & expressed my wish for them to join me on my We Are Africans remix & got aaaaaiiiiiirrrrrrrr (he laughed)

 ARB: What do you mean by air?

Ans: Waited & waited and no vocalsor, time for studio was confirmed, So we are Africans came out the way it did. Rest in Peace Dagrin. #Awooo!


 ARB: Are there any behind the scene secrets, tips, or additional information you would like to share with our readers?

Ans: Visualize and it will materialize if u Work hard as if u haven't prayed. Pray hard as if u haven't worked. Party and enjoy your life. Go hard or go home. Awoooo!

 ARB: Most artists smoke,and drink in other to get high on stage, what do you do in other to grab your audience?

Ans: I live, I am not a sinner nor a saint

 ARB: The JJC Skillz we knew back then is only into singing, but the JJC we now know, has added some skills like getting himself involved in music video directing,what made you combine this two things together?

Ans: Actually I passed my polytek in the uk with 9A* grade and went on to be an assistant editor working on adverts like rover peperami, burger king etc at a company called apl in soho ldn
 I left that job & line of career to take my music seriously.


 ARB: in 100% rating, how balance are you, singing,managing artists and also directing videos?

Ans: Hmmm! (He Sighs) I am about 80percent confident on all levels.

 ARB: In a rough calculation,like how many videos have you directed,and who are the people you've worked with?

Ans: Rough calculation, Hmmm! 150. Bouqui, Dj Zeez, Ruggedman, Olu maintain, Fricker, Tunde ednut.
Tv stations radio print & press media, Bloggers, and more importantly investment, and coperated associations.

 ARB: Is there any difference in Nigeria 10years ago,and today's Nigeria? What differs?

Ans: Its shaping up to be a lovely industry, Final stage is Government association and regulation.

 ARB: Define Success in one sentence.

Ans: When a set target has been achieved.

 ARB: Your based in the UK, so what brought you back home,since your family resides there?

Ans: My destiny is here, always wanted to & never felt safe enough or generally right. I was born here. Grew up partly here. Within my heart as a child, dreamt of coming back home as music icon, tryna fulfill that childhood dream.

 ARB: How long does it take you to produce your work?

Ans: A song two days.

 ARB: Have you ever thought of quitting music?

Ans: Yeah and did for a lil bit 2006 to 2008.

 ARB: Where do you see yourself and your crew in the next 3years?

Ans: With my name forever embedded in the hearts of Africans and the world as a true lover of music and the entertainment art

 ARB:  Has there been any changes in the industry?

Ans: Yeah its now a music BUSINESS industry, focusing on the capital.

 ARB: if not music, what else will you be doing?

Ans: Directing movie or documentaries adverts etc

 ARB: Do you have any other work your doing apart from music, and video directing?

Ans: Consultations to record labels and managers.

 ARB: Your latest song "African Skank" has hitting the air-wave, did you know people are going to accept it the way it as been accepted today,and what brought to the production of that song,and video concept?

Ans: One  of the artists I developed in the UK styloG hooked me up with tha beat from timetakers. From that moment I had a vision and created the song and video as best to the vision I had.

 ARB: Your latest personal video "African Skank", was star studded, do you roll with all the artists in the video,or you told someone who knew someone to tell him or her to appear in the video, because your fans are actually surprised about how you get to gather those artists.

Ans: Some I roll with, some I know through other friends. This is our industreet. Na we we video (he smiled).

 ARB: Is there anyone you called for the video that didn't turn up for a reason or two?

Ans: Don't wanna mention names & reasons, But so many didn't make it.

 ARB: Which artist do you intend working with, be it late or living?

Ans: David guetta, Timberland, Micheal jackson, The list goes on.

 ARB: How do you relax?

Ans: Watch movies, or chill somewhere close to the sea, chilling and eating with friends.

 ARB: How long did it take to process current single and video?

Ans: 3months in total from scratch.

ARB: What are your handles?

Ans: @jjcskillz (twitter), JJCofficial (facebook), www.jjcofficial.com (web) JJCofficial (youtube).
@Stevespotlight my managers twitter handle.

 ARB: What are some of the details fans can find by going to your own website or social network?

Ans: What I am doing at the moment & in the past.

ARB: Will you please keep us updated with your music now that you will have a permanent link on our blog,so the fans can find out more about you and hopefully catch a live show?
(Send updates to: arikraymond19@gmail.com)

Ans: Alright bro. Big ups




ARB: Just for fun..........Fill in the blanks!


ARB: Without music, I would be ____________________

Ans: No one.

ARB: Music is __________________

Ans: Life.

ARB: My music makes me feel __________________

Ans: Inspired.

ARB: I write the songs because _________________

Ans: I Can.

ARB: Support music because.

Ans: I Love It.

ARB: Please feel free to add any other information you want to share with the public/readers. We want to extend our warm wishes for your success and thank you for the awesome interview.  We hope we can attend one of your shows soon,so please be sure to keep us informed on your updates!

Ans: Aight cool

ARB: Thanks for doing an exclusive blog interview today with Arik Raymond Blog. We sincerely appreciate your support,and we hope you will tell everyone to visit www.arikraymond.blogspot.com and read this article.
We hope you will also invite your other friends of yours who are music artists  to interview with us at Arik Raymond Blog soon! Thanks again.....YOU ROCK!

Ans: Yea! For sure, Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zenith Bank

Smoking Hot Store

Smoking Hot Store
A store that got all you need.

Advertise Here

Advertise Here
Share your business product/service to the world with A.R media

Smoking Hot SELFIE STICK

Smoking Hot SELFIE STICK
Take The Shots Yourself